Are you always on the lookout for a great seafood recipe for a party? Yes, yes and yes! Shrimp dishes seem expensive, taste delicious and are always a big hit with family and friends– all the time! Which is how I came up with this healthy seafood recipe of Crispy Baked Shrimps.
Healthy Seafood Recipe Crispy Baked Shrimps: Why You Should Try It?
If you are planning to eat healthily, start by eating shrimps! Shrimps are healthy because they are:
- Low in calories at 84 calories per 85 grams serving
- Full of vitamins and minerals; such as selenium, omega 6 and omega fatty acids, antioxidants, proteins, vitamin B12, iron, phosphorus, niacin, zinc, magnesium, and iodine.
However, some people perceive that eating shrimps may be unhealthy for these reasons:
- they are high in cholesterol
- they increase blood pressure and blood sugar
For these reasons, experts encourage caution in consuming shrimps. On the contrary, pros outweigh the cons since they contain antioxidants, omega 6 and omega fatty acids. These nutrients lower triglycerides, promote good cholesterol and maintain heart and brain health.
Healthy Seafood Recipe Crispy Baked Shrimps: Some Tips and Tricks
Shrimps are easy to prepare when you know how to clean them and so easy to cook. Here are some useful tips in cleaning, preparing and cooking shrimps:
1. Rinse the fresh shrimps completely under cold running water.
2. Remove shrimp heads and tails and use them for making fish stock.
3. After that, remove the legs and shells of the shrimps.
4. To de-vein shrimps, use a paring knife. Cut the backside of the shrimp, remove and discard the black vein.
5. To ensure freshness, consume shrimps with these tips in mind.
- Immediately cook raw shrimps within 48 hours after purchase.
- Cooked shrimps can keep up to 7 days.
- Frozen shrimps can be stored up to 5 months.
6. Wrap properly rinsed shrimps in parchment paper or cling wrap, and freeze between 32 to 38 degrees Fahrenheit to retain freshness.
7. Always choose wild shrimps over farm-raised ones which may contain chemicals.
Check out the recipe below on how to make deliciously healthy Crispy Baked Shrimp!
If you loved this article, give us a like and share it with your friends and family. Keep coming back to our website for more recipes, cooking and baking tips. See you soon!
Healthy Seafood Recipe Crispy Baked Shrimp
- 2 lbs large shrimp peeled and deveined
For the breading:
- 1 1/4 cups panko or other dried bread crumbs
- 1 tsp sweet paprika preferably Hungarian or Spanish
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup (or chili sauce)
- 2 tbsp horseradish drained and prepared
- 1 piece zest from lemon finely grated
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Hot pepper sauce optional
- Make the sauce in a small bowl, mix the chili sauce, horseradish and lemon zest and juice. Season with hot pepper sauce. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 400°F and lightly oil a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In another bowl, mix together panko, paprika, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter and olive oil.
- Toss shrimp in the butter mix, coat with panko mixture, and shake off excess.
- Spread coated shrimps over a parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until brown and shrimps are opaque when pierced with tip of knife.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
FOR COCONUT SHRIMP
- Use 1 1/2 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut instead of the panko mixture.
- Add 1 tsp. curry powder to the butter mixture.
- Dip the shrimp in the butter mixture, then dessicated coconut, and bake as directed.
- For dipping sauce, serve with Thai sweet chili sauce.
1 thought on “Healthy Seafood Recipe: Crispy Baked Shrimps”
So easy and so tasty! I can’t wait to try another recipe from your blog!