My husband and I see to it that we have “date night” without the kids. Sometimes we go out and watch a movie or cook some dinner and have a movie marathon. Most of the time we just end up cooking dinner at home. We let the kids stay over with their cousins so we have the house all to ourselves. One of our favorite recipes is baked Oysters Rockefeller. It’s so easy to make and adds a luxurious touch! Feels like we’re having dinner at a posh restaurant. Also, it gives us an excuse to drink some wine.
Prepping for Date Night!
Here’s what you need for the baked oysters:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs, Panko preferred
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup Pernod
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash red pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil or parsley
- 2 dozen oysters on the half shell
- Rock salt
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
I also prepared Mignonette Sauce to add flavor:
- 3/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
How to make Baked Oysters Rockefeller:
As I prepared the oysters, my hubby set up the “movie venue” and the dinner table. I can already smell the scented candles!
Cooking the oysters:
- In a skillet, melt some butter. Saute the garlic for about 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, spoon half of the garlic butter and mix it with the bread crumbs.
- In the remaining garlic butter, add the shallots and spinach and let them cook until the spinach wilts, for about 3 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with Pernod then season with salt, pepper and a dash of red pepper sauce. Let the mixture cook for a few minutes.
- To the breadcrumb mixture, add some olive oil, Parmesan, chervil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring out your baking pan and sprinkle with rock salt, enough to hold the oysters steady.
- Arrange the oysters on the baking pan and spoon a heaping teaspoon of the spinach mixture then a spoonful of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450 F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Once cooked, arrange the oysters on a platter and serve with red pepper sauce and lemon wedges.
While the oysters bake, you can already prepare the mignonette sauce. Just whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Time for Dinner!
The setting was beautiful and the baked oysters were delicious! Next time I will take photos of our “date.” This recipe is so easy to prepare – you should make it one time even as a treat for yourself. Oh, and I also prepared our favorite Leche Flan for dessert!
Don’t forget to share this recipe or leave us a comment.